Rough timeline for 2019
Early May: v0.0.1 pre-alpha
We will tag a release of what we have merged in and working right now, just to get our versioning story started. We’re not planning on widely advertising this release.
May-June: MVP v0.1.0 (first alpha release)
- Completed MVP spec
Playable game executable
June-August: v0.2.0 (can overlap with the previous development phase)
- First art pass
- First audio pass
- Weather & day/night cycles
- Playable game executable
3-6 months: v0.X.0 releases
Now we can start adding layer upon layer over our minimal core of gameplay. We will incrementally add complexity to our existing game components. We won’t take large leaps unless they can be boosted by prior work.
- More creature types
- More complex map layout
- More complex steering behaviors (e.g. flocking)
- More complex AI behaviors (see Jaynus’ GOAP). We’ll only use what’s available to us.
- The player gains the ability to create new creatures in-game by means of mutations and other manipulations.
>6 months - ???
- Mimicking behavior dynamics as observed in nature documentaries
- A recurring goal will be to support the greatest diversity of species (of notable novelty) possible. With every iteration of the game we will keep growing that number.