Is amethyst released or not yet?

(ivan (im not russian)) #1

i was pretty frustrated and confused, over on amethyst like is it initial and i might be wrong (although this is stupid and has come up a lot of times) i do like amethyst, i follow it’s development, i want something that intersects with rust-lang and a game engine that i wont be too concerned making an engine by myself, but i hope this wont have too many broken flaws as it is not expected.

If I understand your question, you’re asking how mature the engine is? I’m probably not the best person to answer this, but I’ll try.

The engine is in active development. Version 1.0.0 is not yet released. This means there will regularly be backwards incompatible changes. For example, we’re getting pretty close to an ECS-framework switch from SPECS to Legion, which would require people to rewrite some of their code. While most updates won’t bring such drastic changes, all updates have the potential to break something. It’s usually not a big deal to fix though.

There will unavoidably be some bugs, probably more than in a fully mature, well-funded and widely adopted engine such as Unity. However, in my experience there is nothing major on that front. Being written in Rust, the project should be unusually resistant to certain classes of bugs. :smile: Additionally, should you encounter bugs, those can be swiftly fixed if you report them on GitHub.

3 Likes