Legion Transform Design Discussion

A mat3x4 or mat3x3 requires padding when passing to a shader in a uniform as it doesn’t align properly. Just something to consider.

I kinda like the idea of:

struct Parent {
    parent: Entity,
}

struct Transform {
    local: mat3x4,
    global: mat3x4,  // only updated when transform system runs
    parent: mat3x4, // identity for root entities
}

As it lets the user dictate how components look vs forcing them into using a transform that might have more than what they need. I would maybe make an additional struct like:

struct SimpleTransform {
    matrix: mat3x4,
}

For cases where you have an entity without a parent/child.

(Joël Lupien) #23

So, does everyone agree on the latest proposed solution? Who is against or has a better idea?

4 Likes
(Nathan) #24

:+1: for me

3 Likes

I agree aswell. This usability vs performance tradeoff also aligns more with the views expressed in the future vision thread.

But before we proceed I still have one question. Is there really a performance gain by using mat3x4 instead of mat4x4 considering that a system will have to run each frame to convert all 3x4 to 4x4 for GPU?

2 Likes

Is the proposal something that would happen in parallel with integrating legion or after?

If you are SIMD column-based matrices, mat3x4 will take the same space as mat4x4 as each column will be 16-byte aligned and there would be 4 columns. If not SIMD (for example serialized to disk) it would make sense to go 3x4.

I’m not sure having multiple transform components (i.e. one supporting children and one not) is a good way to go. All downstream code would then have to always check for both or know ahead of time which one to expect. I would try to make child/parent logic either integrated with the single transform component or be an additional component rather than replace it. This way any system that is not aware of parent/child will still function. I also think parent/child support is complicated enough that there needs to be a working prototype before settling on any particular solution.

1 Like