Menu Design

evolution-island
(Khionu Sybiern) #1

So, main menu. It’s the first impression, we need to get their attention. Neon flashing, text growing bigger and smaller, MS Word gradients, we’re going full 00’s.

Just kidding. I’d like to propose two concepts: Minecraft and Sidebar.

Minecraft Menu

The main menu is minimal and direct. Just as its background is a sample of the world, we can use the map as the background. This would double as the map used in game, so there’s even less work in transitioning from menu to game. This makes it ideal to double as a template for a pause menu, as well.

Sidebar

Taking the same “map as background” approach, we could do a menu as a side bar. I personally prefer this approach, the more I think about it.

Using the same amount of minimalism, we can then use the large, central space for any number of things down the line. For example, as a person might adjust spawn numbers, those could be reflected by icons on the map. That could even be the area where pre-start adjustments are made! Conversely, it could have playful animations or recordings of gameplay, a snippet of what’s to come, so to speak.

Again, for emphasis, those ideas are potential, and most definitely won’t be part of the MVP, they’re just what that design could allow for.

So, we have those two options… discuss?

1 Like

(doomy) #2

Depends. What UI features do we plan? (And which ones are possible for the future?)

0 Likes

(Khionu Sybiern) #3

The only one I can say will likely be a thing is configurations of various world setups. New creatures, picking spawn points, changing the map… Erlend may have ideas for other things down the line, outside of the scope of the Showcase Team’s involvement

0 Likes

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

(On phone right now but can chat a bit later.)

Can you supplement the two options with example screenshots? Visual discussion is best had with visual mockups.

0 Likes

(Khionu Sybiern) #5

Minecraft

Replace the blurred background with the island map we use.

Sidebar

This, but more narrow and squished to the side

2 Likes

(doomy) #6

I’m a fan of the latter

0 Likes

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7

Right, yeah I’m in favor of the sidebar as well. Maybe @doomy would be interested in mocking up the first available controls available in such an interface?

1 Like

(Joël Lupien) #8

Here’s your ui elements “menu” for tonight… lol

• Text
  • Editable Text/Text field
  • Button
1 Like

(Khionu Sybiern) #9

More than enough for these designs!

0 Likes

(doomy) #10

Here are some very, very basic & ugly mockups. I wanted to avoid styling anything until we have a better understanding of how the demo will look.

Right now, we need speed options and possibly a side menu.

I kept the speed items to just 3 since any more options may be unused by the player. I suggest 1x, 4x, and 16x - though depending on how the game functions, 1x, 2x, and 4x may be more appropriate.

In the future, we may want to adjust/select individual entities. We can cross that bridge when we come to it, though.

5 Likes

(Khionu Sybiern) #11

Both of those designs are pretty idea, imo! I would want their polishing to make them more similar, but the general layout and sizing is how I imagined it!

2 Likes