Moving the needle on user-defined rendering: a render pass for my voxels

(Duncan) #1

Hey I want to ask for some advice on implementing a render pass for my voxel meshes. My hope is that I can make incremental improvements to amethyst_rendy at the same time, and I want those improvements to be in line with the amethyst team’s vision for rendering.

I have read through the Rendering Runtime API Types Rethink topic as well as most of the amethyst_rendy code, and I agree with the general idea that it should be easier for users to define how they want their entities to be encoded for rendering.

Some background about what I have currently…

Here is my project: https://github.com/bonsairobo/handsome-voxels

Right now I am generating meshes using the Surface Nets algorithm. The only vertex attributes I have right now are position and normal. The material UVs and tangents are calculated in the shader using triplanar texturing (a modification I made to the amethyst PBR shader). If one of the voxel chunks has multiple materials present, then the vertices are simply copied into a mesh for each material, where the indices only cover the triangles for that material.

I managed to do all of this without having to interact with Rendy, which is pretty cool! All I had to do was implement the Base3DPassDef with my own shaders and vertex format.

But now I’m at the point where I want change more stuff about the shaders, and I think it will require more flexibility from the amethyst_rendy module. Just to summarize, there are some kinda hacky things I did to get this far:

• Copied all of the PBR shader code from Amethyst
    • I’m pretty sure this was necessary unless I wanted to compile the shaders myself, since the #includes in the shaders are a feature of shaderc. It would be nice if there was an easier way to share shader code.
  • Hardcoded some values in the shader which should really be per-instance uniforms or push constants.
  • Used unimplemented! in the “skinned” shader definition of Base3DPassDef.
  • Copied my vertices into multiple meshes where only the indices differed, resulting in many “unused” copies of the vertices being uploaded to the GPU.

OK so that captures all of the rendering work I’ve done so far. Now, I’d like to describe my future goals and hopefully offer some ideas for changes we could make to amethyst_rendy.

So here are some additional features I want to implement for this render pass:

• Different materials for each of the 3 planes
    • Requires multiple materials bound to the pipeline, which is not currently supported without writing my own render plugin.
  • Texture splatting
    • This also requires multiple materials, and I’ll likely have to extend my vertex format to include “weights” for the materials being blended.

So I think the minimal set of new requirements I have for amethyst_rendy are:

1. binding multiple materials, or sets of materials, to the pipeline
  2. custom descriptors for the extra per-instance uniforms I need
  3. decoupled vertex and index buffers

For 1, I think I could probably add a MaterialSet component, and maybe that would supersede Material. Right now, each texture in a material takes up one binding. I think instead we could have a texture array in each binding. Then maybe some maximum number of textures per array. The TwoLevelBatch code of amethyst_rendy would probably need to change a bit to sort the meshes by material set (rather than just by a single material) in such a way to minimize bind calls. There would also need to be additional information in the uniform Material to determine which indices of the textures arrays to use for an instance.

For 2, I mostly just want the ability to set a UV scaling factor per instance. This could be as simple as adding a field to the GLSL uniform Material and Rust Material and MaterialPrefab. But I also foresee the need to be able to make arbitrary changes to my uniforms for various shader effects, and this would require a more generic base 3D pass.

Right now, the 3D pass has the uniforms encapsulated in the EnvironmentSub, MaterialSub, and SkinningSub. While EnvironmentSub and MaterialSub seem to be limited to uniforms, SkinningSub is a bit more complex, as it manages uniforms and vertex buffers. I think there is probably an abstraction we could make where anyone could implement a submodule that’s used in the base 3D pass. It would need:

• access to the World to process the relevant resources
  • knowledge about how it binds to pipelines
  • buffer management

This seems pretty much the same as the encoder pattern described by @kabergstrom. If there is some incremental refactor we could do towards this path which allows me the flexibility to write my own submodule, even if it’s a really simple one, that would be desirable. I think maybe it would be easiest to find an abstraction similar to the EnvironmentSub so that I could basically take a World and write out the uniform buffer.

For 3, I think this mostly depends on Rendy. It looks like MeshBuilder::with_vertices takes anything that implements Cow<'a, [V]>, so I assume it won’t do any copies until it needs to upload to the GPU. But it would also be nice if could just make a single vertex buffer on the GPU and only rebind the index buffers. I think this would require aliasing the rendy Buffer type. I’m not sure if this is possible and I would appreciate some advice in this area.

I don’t think there is much I can do about sharing shader code without a lot of work, but I’m open to ideas for improvements I could make.

What do you think? Does these changes seem feasible?

5 Likes
(Duncan) #2

I think as a first step, I’m going to just implement what I want manually by copying the render pass code over to my application. Once I get that working, I’ll reconsider what changes I’ll need to make to amethyst_rendy.

1 Like
(Duncan) #3

Status update:

I tried making some changes to the material submodule to support texture arrays in this revision:

The changes work until you actually resize the sampler2D arrays in the shader to have length > 1.

The error I’m getting:

[ERROR][gfx_backend_metal::device] Error compiling the shader CompilationFailed("Compilation failed: 
program_source:76:313: error: \'texture\' has a duplicate index \'1\'
fragment main0_out main0(main0_in in [[stage_in]], constant Environment& _469 [[buffer(0)]], constant PointLights& _499 [[buffer(1)]], constant DirectionalLights& _561 [[buffer(2)]], constant SpotLights& _615 [[buffer(3)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> albedo [[texture(0)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> emission [[texture(1)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> normal [[texture(2)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> metallic_roughness [[texture(3)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> ambient_occlusion [[texture(4)]], array<sampler, 2> albedoSmplr [[sampler(0)]], array<sampler, 2> emissionSmplr [[sampler(1)]], array<sampler, 2> normalSmplr [[sampler(2)]], array<sampler, 2> metallic_roughnessSmplr [[sampler(3)]], array<sampler, 2> ambient_occlusionSmplr [[sampler(4)]])
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ^
program_source:76:425: error: \'texture\' has a duplicate index \'3\'
fragment main0_out main0(main0_in in [[stage_in]], constant Environment& _469 [[buffer(0)]], constant PointLights& _499 [[buffer(1)]], constant DirectionalLights& _561 [[buffer(2)]], constant SpotLights& _615 [[buffer(3)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> albedo [[texture(0)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> emission [[texture(1)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> normal [[texture(2)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> metallic_roughness [[texture(3)]], array<texture2d<float>, 2> ambient_occlusion [[texture(4)]], array<sampler, 2> albedoSmplr [[sampler(0)]], array<sampler, 2> emissionSmplr [[sampler(1)]], array<sampler, 2> normalSmplr [[sampler(2)]], array<sampler, 2> metallic_roughnessSmplr [[sampler(3)]], array<sampler, 2> ambient_occlusionSmplr [[sampler(4)]])
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ^
program_source:76:580: error: \'sampler\' has a duplicate index \'1\'
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ^
program_source:76:684: error: \'sampler\' has a duplicate index \'3\'

I don’t really have any idea what this means, and it’s not even referencing my actual shader code. I assume this has something to do with cross-compiling the GLSL into something metal understands?

Since the amethyst is using version 0.4.1 of rendy, and the latest is v0.5.1, I think we should merge in the latest version before proceeding with this.

EDIT: Another thing I can try is to share a single sampler2D among all of the textures. This doesn’t seem like an expected use case based on the fact that rendy’s Texture type actually stores a sampler as well (although there does seem to be a sampler cache).

(Duncan) #4

Yea I think this change to gfx-hal will be necessary for us to use sampler/texture arrays.

So we need to update rendy to the latest gfx-hal (at least 0.5.2). Then get amethyst on the latest rendy.

1 Like

I’ve implemented texture splatting before with sampler2DArray and it was working fine.

You can see my code here https://github.com/chemicstry/amethyst/blob/terrain/amethyst_rendy/shaders/fragment/terrain_shaded.frag

There is also a terrain example which shows texture splatting in action. It’s been a while since I last touched it, but IIRC I didn’t need to modify rendy to make it work.

EDIT: you don’t need to modify all the amethyst_rendy structures to hold texture array, it is already supported by rendy. You only need to specify kind: D2Array(layers: 4) https://github.com/chemicstry/amethyst/commit/0b836d11938f052c092678a1455af714a170a584#diff-1e231254498740b7991b0a9c9d4a5927R22

1 Like
(Duncan) #6

@chemicstry Thank you!!! I’ll try the sampler2DArray next.

I just found this very helpful post about the difference between texture arrays and “array textures” or whatever you want to call them:

http://chunkstories.xyz/blog/a-note-on-descriptor-indexing/

sampler2DArray seems perfect for my use case.

Descriptor indexing would still be nice to have in the future, though less urgent for me now.

(Duncan) #7

It works!

5 Likes
(Zicklag) #8

Awesome!! :star_struck: