New users and the specs to legion migration

(Kyle Frazer) #1

Hey all,

I’m just getting started with amethyst, and I’ve just run across the work being done towards migrating from specs to legion. As hypothesized in the “2020 Project Direction” discussion, I do find this to be a bit of a deterrent to my engagement with the project.

I have a few questions:

1. Is the migration definitely going forward?
From reading the project direction topic mentioned above, the RFC, and the original discussion, it seems like work towards the migration is definitely being done, but there is still contention around it. I’m not really able to get a sense for whether a decision has been made to fully commit to legion.

2. Which ECS should I be using for a new game?
I recognize that the incomplete nature of the current legion support means that the stock answer is likely to use specs. But if the long-term solution is definitely intended to be legion, I would rather spend my time learning its idiosyncrasies. Especially given that the differences between the archetype approach and the pure component approach seem to have fairly large design implications, at least from my newbie perspective.

3. If the migration is definitely going forward, how can I help?
I’m new to game-dev and new-ish to rust, so this may be completely out of my depth. But I’m very willing to learn, and I’m confident I’d be able to help in some way. Barring that, what would be the best way for me to contribute to amethyst as a new user?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I’ve missed obvious answers to any of these questions.

2 Likes
  1. The decision was not made yet. Hopefully soon.

2. We understand that a lot of games and projects are held back by the uncertainty of the situation and a decision is necessary. As of now, you can’t make games with legion as amethyst legion integration is incomplete. However, from users perspective the difference between legion and specs is mostly syntactic, ECS concepts are still there, just a different storage model.

3. Discussions started just today and if we decide to go with legion, there is still some work to be done before we can assign individual issues. Mainly update to newest legion and merge with amethyst master.

1 Like
(Kyle Frazer) #3

Thanks for the prompt reply! That’s all about what I figured, but I thought it was best to make certain.