Newbie question: multiple views of game, how?

(Martin) #1

What I am thinking about is a game which shows multiple views of the game:

• map view (camera in the sky looking downwards)
  • first-person view (camera on the player’s head)

I’d like to split the screen, either horizontally or vertically, and show one view in each half.

My question is how do I tell Amethyst about this?

I’m a Rust and Amethyst newbie. I’m trying to read the examples in the amethyst crate, but I can’t see anything that sets up the camera-to-screen window mapping.

1 Like

(Théo Degioanni) #2

I don’t believe this is something you can do by default right now. The upcoming new renderer will make it quite possible however, if not easy.

If you really want to do it right now, you can always use entity positioning tricks to hide some parts of the screen with some 3D object, and duplicate the scene to have it be rendered top down as well. But that’s a bodge at best.

Sorry if there is no really satisfying answer right now, we’re working hard on this however!

3 Likes

(Martin) #3

@Moxinilian thanks for replying. There is no urgency on this, as I am just planning a game that I may convert over from Golang, and I can do without this for now.

As far as I can see, the current rendering system assumes that there is only one active camera, which will render to the whole operating system window. There does not seem to be any way to change this.

0 Likes