OpenXR as external Module: Where to start?

(Johannes Vollmer) #1

Hi there!

There were several attempts to bring virtual reality support to amethyst. Frankly, those were never finished.

I’d like to tackle that issue and try to get something going, preferably using khronos’ OpenXR drivers. Before I start, however, I want to get your opinions on how to approach it, as I have not yet used amethyst in depth.

I hoped that it would be possible to create an independent module for the XR part and only fork the original for microscopic adjustments. Such a module would need to interact with the render targets somehow, which is why this may possibly require changes to amethyst itself.

Do you think this would be possible?

2 Likes
(Nathan) #2

Hi, @johannesvollmer! I don’t know the answers to your questions, so I’ll leave that to someone with more domain knowledge than I have. I do, however, want to welcome you to the community and say that I’m excited by the prospect of bringing virtual reality support to amethyst! I’m sure this can be accomplished with some dedicated effort from interested folks. I’ll watch for any opportunity to lend a hand to the effort.

1 Like