Possible Discourse Hosting for Open Source Projects

(Fletcher) #1

Tracking thread for https://blog.discourse.org/2018/11/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/. Status updates will be made as replies to this.

Form filled out, reached out to someone on Discord that works at Discourse. Current point of contact on the Amethyst side for this is myself, will update once we have a contact on their side.

Questions we need answered for due diligence:

1. What is the license agreement? Specifically, do we give up any IP rights to any assets (images, audio, attachments, etc) uploaded to their servers?
  2. Are we able to get our data out if we need to move back to our own servers?
  3. Is it possible to maintain our current domain name? I suspect the answer is no, according to their description.
  4. What SLA, if any, is there with this option?
  5. Do they have a mechanism for fulfilling GDPR requests?

If you have more questions you’d like answered, please post them here, not in Discord.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

Hi there :wave: I run this program at Discourse so I should be able to answer any questions you have about it.

You’re not giving up anything.

Yep, it’s fairly straightforward:

There are some exceptions. We can talk more on Discord.

Since it’s for free there is no SLA.

Yes.

1 Like
(Fletcher) #3

@erlend_sh and I have been talking, and I think it is time to bring the discussion back to the forums. @Ellie and @torkleyy you’ll probably want to follow this.

@erlend_sh can you cover the v1/v2 differences in relations to subdomains?

Also, it looks like amethyst.rs is getting around 36k hits per month, and the forums so far about 7k per week. So we should also include options for what happens after we pass the free threshold.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

So on the legacy plan the only requirement is that you use discourse as a sub-domain, i.e. discourse.amethyst-engine.org. On this plan your max page views is 100’000/month. Keep in mind that’s a soft limit so it really just means “it’s time to talk about the future” not “pay up or we shut you down”.

Lastly, I’ll be happy to personally cover any hosting expenses should the Amethyst forum ever need to go self-hosted (on Digital Ocean or similar) since I have every intention of increasing my involvement in this project over time anyhow.

The main limitation to keep in mind is that on our clustered hosting you will be limited to the plugins on our Standard plan. Some custom plugins can useful, but I highly doubt they’ll be necessary until at least a year from now. In the meantime you’ve got a community to build.

(Fletcher) #5

Bear in mind we can do a re-direct very easily from community.amethyst.rs to discourse.amethyst-engine.org.

(Lucio Franco) #6

@erlend_sh I just want to say thank you for all that you have done for Amethyst and Gamedev in Rust. It has been great.

Second, I like the idea with going with the discourse subdomain and redirecting from community. I doubt we will need any specific custom plugins like you said. I would like to know besides the subdomain requirement what other differences exist between using discourse to host versus DO/AWS/Scalway/etc?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7

The fundamental benefits of managed hosting in Amethyst’s case are:

• Automated updates
  • No CDN setup
  • No email setup

I did realise there’s one major drawback of our free hosting which might make it a no-go for Amethyst: Anything more than 5 staff members (admin and moderators) requires upgrading to a paid plan. Since this project has very distributed leadership, this staff limitation might quickly become painful.

As I’m saying this I’m increasingly convinced that the free hosting plan would be a poor fit for Amethyst because it would encounter growing pains before long. Since I’m pretty familiar with the common pitfalls of self-hosting I’m quite confident it won’t be a problem.

(Lucio Franco) #8

Yeah, that will definitely be an issue. So it sounds like then we should just stay on our current setup?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

Had a sidebar with @fletcher about it and we’ve agreed self-hosting is the best option.

2 Likes
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) closed #10

This topic was automatically closed after 46 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.