Amethyst Site

Discourse Hub Dev

This is a experimental feature, ignore this.

Launch Hub

Rendy is released!

Today my year-long preparation to make greatest rendering engine for amethyst got to major point.
:tada: Rendy is now available on crates.io :tada:

What’s rendy anyway?
rendy is collection of crates to “build your own renderer”. It’s not a renderer on its own. You can’t just throw a mesh into some scene and it will render that mesh for you, no.

rendy crate itself is umbrella crate for all rendy-* crates each of which solve particular task.

In its core rendy has small and concise crates to solve hardest tasks that arise before modern graphics API user.
Memory management (rendy-memory), resource management (rendy-resource), command encoding (rendy-command) and synchronization (rendy-chain).

rendy has also two big crates - rendy-factory and rendy-graph.

First one (rendy-factory) gives you simple and reliable way to create resources, upload data, gives access to command queues and manages resource destruction (built upon rendy-memory, rendy-resource and rendy-command).

Second one (rendy-graph) allows user to build complex rendering graphs from simple nodes, manages transient resources and calculates required inter-node synchronization (using rendy-chain).
Rendering node has own tree of traits and implementations to further simplify node construction.
See “quads” example to know how to create graph that will render 2 millions moving quads in no time.

On top of it we are working on data-driven rendering system that will allow user to render objects with custom shaders with ~0 lines of additional code.

Instead of picking one of modern graphics API to support rendy uses gfx-hal (it provides vulkan-ish API and implements various backends including Vulkan, DirectX12 and Metal).

I hope we will replace old clunky amethyst renderer in next few weeks and start creating new features with it.

34 Likes

Congrats viral! This is a huge accomplishment!

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to use parts of it in our wgpu-rs implementation ;_

1 Like

Thanks!
What parts you are interested in, btw? :slight_smile:
IIRC You use memory manager, but we decided we want integrate memory management into hal directly someday. Is there anything else?

Memory and descriptor allocation are the obvious things to start with :wink:

I don’t think we want to use the committed resource semantics of gfx-hal, if it materializes. On D3D12 this would probably be less efficient than manually managing larger allocations.