Thinking about sustainability at scale

2019-roadmap
business
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Let’s start talking about sustaining the Amethyst team at scale. We have an org and a steady trickle of donations, but supporting even one (1) team member to work full time on Amethyst would require a 5x-10x increase. It takes orgs decades to scale up to that kind of income namely because an org’s primary purpose is to manage and distribute ownership & power, not to generate an income.

I assume working on Amethyst things as a paying job is the dream for a lot of people here; I know it is for me. So one of the things I’m intent on doing is starting one or more businesses that are in some way tied to Amethyst. I think there’s a lot of different things we can try out.

We could make money by…

I’ll start dedicated discussions on all of the above and I’ll very gladly help flesh out other business ideas anyone else might want to share and workshop.

The bottom line is that I’m not all too concerned with the how yet, I just want all Amethyst stakeholders to give the “long-term sustainability problem” more thought from this point onwards. Take the fun you’re having now just a little more seriously and it’ll pay off big fun dividends in the future :wink:

My personal agenda

If I were to do just one thing for the next 10 years without going crazy, right now I can think of few things other than game development. It doesn’t matter to me that there might be more and/or easier money in other business cases, because I’m not optimising for amount of money I’m optimising for my long term happiness.

So I know at least one business model I can get 100% behind for 10 straight years:

Make :joystick:game → Earn :moneybag:money (→ Repeat :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:)

I’ll be supportive of any kind of money-making activity, but I might as well call out my obvious bias from the start.

6 Likes

Creating games as revenue-generators
Evoli: MVP implementation tracker
Team Meeting #1 - 2019-04-27