Vulkan support reference

(Kel) #1

While Amethyst will eventually again support OpenGL through gfx-hal, I figured I’d write a quick reference for Vulkan support on popular graphics processors in the meantime.

Windows (and about same for Linux):

• Nvidia: Kepler or later (GeForce 600+ / Quadro K Series, 2012)
  • AMD: GCN or later (HD 7730+ / Rx 240+, 2012)
  • Intel: Haswell or later (“i” Core 4200+, 2013)

Mac:

• :sweat:

A far more complete chart can also be found on Wikipedia.

1 Like
(Gray Olson) #2

Mac:

• Use the metal backend which should work on any even slightly recent mac!
1 Like
(Kel) #3

Mac users get your own dang thread! (Gray is right)

(Marco Alka) #4

isn’t this more like PC vs Mac (vs mobile)? Because you only list hardware, which could also be used by Linux distributions or some kind of BSD. Also, a comparison of Apple vs (other) ARM SoCs would also be interesting on the mobile site. I know that there is Vulkan support for Adreno 400+ and Mali Midgard 4th gen onward.

(Kel) #5

Far more people will ask about running vulkan on their desktop rather than building it for mobile platforms, etc. Also, Linux+Windows support is about the same for Vulkan. The chart linked in my post is better suited to your question, because I’d rather just link it than try and copy paste the whole thing here :slight_smile:

(Marco Alka) #6

Far more people will ask about running vulkan on their desktop rather than building it for mobile platforms, etc.

According to?

The chart linked in my post is better suited to your question

Then why make this thread in the first place? I think, having a good list about which hardware and Kernel are the bare minimum requirements to run Amethyst in Vulkan, D3D12 or Metal mode is quite interesting to have. Not only for game developers, but also for engine developers to see the hardware which should in theory be tested against as a baseline.

Also, imho, the chart on Wikipedia is incomplete and sometimes incorrect or confusing. See support for Mali, which is the GPU, being listed as “ARM”, and the third generation being supported is just half-true, because there are Mali GPUs in that generation without Vulkan support.

(Kel) #7

Me :slight_smile:

To link to people who ask if their development rig supports Vulkan.

You should make a better one!