What's your go-to IDE for Rust (game) development?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I feel a little weird asking this since I’m not a user of any IDE for Rust, but then again maybe that makes me suitably unbiased to ask :wink:

I recently talked to an “outsider” (hasn’t used Rust and never heard about Amethyst) about Evolution Island and they asked me “what IDE can you recommend?”.

I’m not looking for a definitive answer here. I just wanna hear about people’s preferences. Good reasoning in favor of your favorite IDE can also do double duty as a speed introduction to the best parts of your IDE of choice. Every reply here, long or short, will be very useful to newcomers just trying to get quickly through the decision matrix of setting up their developer environment.

We might even be able to agree on “what’s the best IDE for someone who’s just starting out and could use as many learning-aids as possible?”.

I’ll put a poll here after we’ve collected 2 or more IDE testimonies.

• VS Code
  • Intellij
  • Clion
  • Emacs

0 voters

1 Like
(Jaynus) #2

I use Clion with the Intelllij rust plugin

EDIT:

I’m editing my post to add a little more detail. I come from mainly C/C++ development, and have lived in MSVC for the past 15 years. I just recently moved to CLion for the past 5 years, and have never looked back. Having the same functionality for Rust was super natural to me, and I absolutely must have the same debugging functionality I want across all platforms.

1 Like
(Andrew Huynh) #3

VSCode + the RLS extension

3 Likes
(Yann Asset) #4

I use the only one tool for plain-text manipulation: GNU/Emacs. With Rust I rely on Racer-mode, flycheck-mode and magit. I haven’t yet tried the rls integration. I’ll also need to look for structural editing capabilities (like paredit-mode), but for the Rust syntax.

But it’s long and require experience to get in shape (generally speaking; no especially the Rust part). When I teach Rust, I generally advise to use vscode + RLS if the student does not already uses a generalist IDE.

(the opensourceness seems an important criteria when I recommend a tool with a learning curve to beginners)

1 Like

Intellij Idea Community Edition + Rust plugin, tried VSCode + RLS but I feel that Intellij works better.

1 Like
(Hilmar Wiegand) #6

On windows I use VSCode + RLS, on linux I use neovim + ALE. Both work very well. I feel like I have a lot more control over what is happening in Vim and it’s more performant, but VSCode is definitely a fine choice.

1 Like
(Gray Olson) #7

VSCode + RLS + Vim emulation plugin

3 Likes
(Marco Alka) #8

CLion + Rust Plugin. I love the JetBrains products, because they have a lot of features I use every day, but are still very configurable; plus they work on any platform.

1 Like
(Aaron Housh) #10

VSCode + rust-analyzer (RLS 2.0). It doesn’t support traits so miss some intellisense, but is much more responsive and has way more IDE functionality than current RLS.

Also, I recommend actually clicking the vote button at the top :slight_smile: People are commenting what they use, but not voting so the numbers aren’t reflecting what the thread is saying :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Azriel Hoh) #11

sublime text 3 with the following plugins:

• Rust Enhanced
  • LSP (links to RLS)

Find that VS Code isn’t fast enough for doing a lot of code replacements.

1 Like
(Benoît C ) #12

I’m currently using kakoune + kak-lsp
I used sublime text and CLion before.

1 Like
(Joël Lupien) #13

neovim
Before that: sublimetext
Before that: intellij + rust plugin

1 Like
(Théo Degioanni) #14

I use VSCode and rust-analyzer too.

First of all because VSCode is an excellent general purpose IDE. To start with the downsides, it’s sometime not super responsive, but that’s pretty much it. There are plugins for so many things, and its included central version control support is really nice to use. It also supports great levels of appearance customization (I use monokai with it, but many themes exist).

On rust-analyzer vs RLS: while the RLS generally has better support for language features and is more consistent across machines, rust-analyzer is the closest thing one can get to a full IDE experience. When I switched from the RLS to ra, I wasn’t even aware of how many features VSCode offered to language servers, and it has generally been more useful and most importantly less CPU intensive.

4 Likes
(Kel) #15

How have you set up rust-analyzer? Installed directly as a plugin or do you have to run your own builds currently?

(Théo Degioanni) #16

I run my own builds, rust-analyzer have it automated it’s really easy to do.

2 Likes
(Optimistic Peach) #17

Intellij IDEA makes working with rust very snappy. It also feels pretty integrated, and easy to configure, and it has basically everything that vscode has, but with a few big-ide features (Type annotation, catches more errors faster, etc.). It’s still not the C#/Visual Studio combo that most people dream of, but it’s still pretty good at doing what it does.

(James) #18

Although not an IDE, I use Sublime Text 3. Instead of the IDE auto-suggestions, I use the TabNine plugin, which is often faster and more efficient than Jetbrains (Clion) suggestions. Check it out.

(OvermindDL1) #19

I use IntelliJ + Rust Plugin.

For note, IntelliJ and Clion are the same thing, it’s the backing IntelliJ engine with some pre-included plugins, clion includes the C++ ones. Any plugin that works on one should work on any other IntelliJ distribution (clion or others). Thus the IntelliJ and Clion numbers should be combined. Perhaps just as “Rust Plugin for IntelliJ-based IDE’s”.

I use Atom with the IDE-Rust plugin in combination with Git Bash, but I’m thinking about checking out IntelliJ instead.

(OvermindDL1) #21

I switched to Intellij’s Rust Plugin a bit over a month ago, never looking back. The Language Server is just so limited and rather useless in comparison to an actual parsing engine with more features that the IntelliJ’s Rust Plugin uses.

Don’t know if atom’s rust plugin has these abilities yet, but things I can’t really live without anymore (especially as a relative Rust newbie) that IntelliJ has that atom didn’t last I tried it:

• See the types of things inline!
  • See macro expansions!
  • Much Faster once the compile and cache is complete! Plus just overhauling code, templates, highlighting is so much better, etc…
1 Like