Why are you here? (Personal stories of arrival)

You can answer this question any way you’d like. I will most likely edit my answer over time. I’d just like to give everyone a chance to clarify their personal motivations for being here and putting in the time, over and over again.

We’ve talked a lot about how to avoid burnout (1)(2) and this is another piece in that puzzle. If you’re ever not having fun working on Amethyst, this topic might serve as a reminder to why you showed up in the first place.

Why are you here?

4 Likes

I’m here because I love Rust. No really, that’s it. If this engine were written in anything else I wouldn’t care.

I can give a lot of sub reasons why I enjoy being here, but at the end of the day Rust is what keeps me anchored.

5 Likes

I’m here because I’m frankly a bit disappointed with the trajectory of video games development

Maybe I just had my hopes up too high but I was expecting game tech to have advanced further by now. Most game tech seized to wow me a long time ago.

What happened to AI development?
What happened to procedural generation?
Why aren’t we playing around more with physics?

Sure there are always some examples, but I want these tech tracks to be mainstream and always competing for best-in-class in the same way as graphics development.

I’m here for the procedural generation.

I think its the next big hobbyist innovation.

What the smartest people do on the weekend is what everyone else will do during the week in ten years

(Thanks for the video tip @khskarl)

I’m here to experience time travel

It’s not often in life you get the opportunity to “try again” quite like this. The fact that I get to take another whack at this feels beyond lucky. I want to avoid some crucial mistakes of the past, and make new, more progressive failures.

I’m here to make eSports games

I’ll elaborate more on this one later. In short I spent thousands of hours in the past playing DOTA2 and similar games and I’m confident I could build a better one at some point, quite a few years down the line.

I’m here to make moddable games

Warcraft 3 was my introduction and primary education in game development and global collaboration. With my experience in open source marketplaces I’m confident I could build better, more sustainable markets around highly moddable games.

I’m here to simulate life-likeness

Its huge for games, education, science and AI. More on this later.

I’m NOT here to beat Unity, Unreal or Godot at their own game

I’m the youngest of 3 siblings. I’m not very competitive. I’m just not Interested in beating Unity and Godot at their own game. It sounds like a lot of potentially unrewarding work to me, because by competing with them we’re inserting ourselves 500m into a never-ending running competition in which Unity et.al. has already been running for 40km. Sure we can theoretically catch up with them eventually, but it’s gonna be a long slog. We should be playing our own game (figuratively speaking) whenever possible, leapfrogging our way into industry relevance.

I’m NOT here to make hyper-violent games

This one is a very personal preference and I pass no judgement on those who appreciate a realistic blood spray pattern. My taste for violence just appears to subside ever more as I grow older, so consider me opted out of any project that plays up violence as a key feature.

I’m NOT here to make games sticky for the sake of stickiness.

I have pretty strict rules for what I consider to be an acceptably addictive design trait. Some games are made to be addictive not in pursuit of fun and mastery but rather to extract as much money as possible from its players, and I find such design to be morally bankrupt.

6 Likes

I’m here because I love working with people and creating projects that others can enjoy.

I can’t actually remember how I got involved (even though it’s only been a few months) but I think it had something to do with the Showcase project team. And maybe Erlend had a hand in it too because of some of the Zola PRs I made IIRC :).

I just finished my first Game Jam project (GH Game off 2018) and I was looking for new ways forward, specifically with the Rust language.

Amethyst seemed like the best community and gamedev option, and I think that assumption turned out to be true!

5 Likes
  • Can’t afford to invent everything here

“because ggez had SDL2 as a dependency”

That was an early reason when picking a game engine library.

Another was that there were many building blocks under the Amethyst umbrella, and I’m on a time-limited venture to create a game which could use those building blocks. At the time I was looking around for game libraries, there weren’t any other “real” ones besides Amethyst and ggez, and I didn’t want to have a non-pure Rust dependency.

Now there’s more to choose from – tetra, crayon, gate – to name a few, but I’ve already chosen before, so it’s onwards and hopefully upwards, not just sideways.

• Amethyst hasn’t locked itself into bad design

Not having (much) technical debt is really good. However, Amethyst hasn’t settled on any higher level abstracted design, which is what leads to it being a game-engine-engine.

Lack of legacy code is attractive to me, because it’s easier to build on an empty board than a faulty one.

There’s a lot of potential for each of Amethyst’s bits to grow. I could care more for Amethyst, but in my current capacity am unable to dedicate so much time to “fixing all the things” without starving myself.

5 Likes

I like making games using good tooling.

“Good tooling”: Helps me as much as possible and does work for me, but doesn’t get in my way.

Amethyst is really far from perfect, but its the closest I have found to what I’m looking for.

5 Likes

I am here because of a couple of reasons. I lived in a silo for a few years, I developed some personal projects, and never contributed anything. This all changed when I started to learn rust, I decided that it was time for me to expand my comfortable boundaries and put them a bit higher. I thought it would do me good to work on any opensource project and not specific to gaming directly. But around that time @jojolepro brought me in contact with Amethyst, and after a time I started to contribute for her.

3 Likes

I’m here because I accidentally became a Rust integrist, preventing me from doing anything serious in another language. I wanted to make a game and Piston just wasn’t there. Somebody pointed me to Amethyst. “But there’s no mobile support” I say. “You can always contribute” he says. Hi!

Now I do it for the sake of making quality software and the future.

6 Likes

I am here to help create a good open source alternative to commercial or proprietary in-house game engines for mid- to large-sized game teams in the long term. I would like to focus on real-world game team use-cases and improve on existing tooling where possible for a smoother collaborative process. I would like to see Amethyst successfully scale to utilize all of the available hardware that a team has available to reduce iteration time and unnecessarily wasted content creator time.

Like others, I enjoy that Amethyst hasn’t locked itself into poor design choices and has high ambitions that look towards the future. I would like to try to keep it possible for commercial users of Amethyst to contribute specific use-cases or changes back into the open source ecosystem, to help the next group tackling a similar problem. Commercial game development is far too proprietary and closed currently, with very little sharing and I’d like that to change.

9 Likes

Well, there are multiple reasons.

Firstly, I was not satisfied with the existing game engines. I don‘t remember all of the reasons why I didn‘t like them, but among the reasons are

• too obscure
  • heavy use of macros
  • no / bad modding support
  • too little control over the engine
  • bad Linux support

Secondly, I simply love the creative process of creating both APIs and games. And Amethyst is just a great opportunity to learn from each other while doing just that.

And thirdly, I think Amethyst has A) a solid foundation (Rust, ECS, Open Source, permissive license) and B) on top of that a design that allows for great flexibility. That’s why I’ve chosen Amethyst.

5 Likes

I feel like this is similar to the Vorlon vs. Shadows question from Babylon 5: Who are you?, What do you want?

Two reasons:

1. I like building game engines. Most of my professional experience has been on the services and infra side building very large scale stuff. I want to work on the opposite side for awhile.
  2. To figure out where I should be, once I’m recovered.
4 Likes

I grew up writing games and studying game engines. I also don’t think I’m the best programmer I could be. I hope that by spending time around code written by people more wise than myself, and writing some more code of my own, all on something I find interesting, I might become a better engineer. Being a better engineer for better employment opportunities and more importantly for hopefully bringing better software into the world.

6 Likes

I am here because I like videos games but hate building them, so I had to satisfy my curious quench for understanding how they are built and landed into game engines. I’ve always loved the complexity and the vast amount of surface for creative growth that building a game engines provide. Besides that I am huge on open source software and rust, so amethyst kind of turned out to be perfect. It has grown a lot since the original days but it has always been as promising. Now we just have an even more awesome team working on it. I am really looking forward to see where amethyst as an organization will go.

3 Likes

When I first came into the Amethyst Discord, my goal was to consume Amethyst for my virtual tabletop platform. One of the first things I noticed, as someone who’s bounced around Discord helping various communities, was that there was a lack of solid Discord-savviness. I figured it would be as I’ve done a dozen times before: join the ranks, advise on community structure, help keep the community stable. It’s turned out very different from that.

As I’ve been waiting (enthusiastically watching progress) for the new renderer module, I’ve seen opportunity to help Amethyst work through growing pains, as an Organization. I’m not as confident of a developer as I could be, so I want to do for Amethyst what I can.

5 Likes

Firstly, really good topic. It is very cool to see why everybody is on the project.

I ended up here because it looked like Haxe wasn’t going to be able to perform well enough to handle the very large and high performance games that my team has dreams of making.

I had recently gotten into Rust and I couldn’t belive there was finally a valid replacement for C/C++. I knew that it had to be the perfect language to make a game engine in. After using Armory3D and loving the Blender integration, my team decided that the perfect game engine would be a fully Blender integrated engine that was written in Rust. After discovering ECS and looking into Amethyst, it appeared that Amethyst had a lot of the same goals that me and my team had for an engine. The only thing missing was Blender. That led to the creation of the Arsenal project.

Me and my team hope that Arsenal can come to compete with big name game engines and provide an engine that is as easy to use as possible, but does not limit what you can accomplish with it in terms of scale or performance. And there should be no royalties or fees of any kind.

Using Amethyst in our efforts to build an engine means that we get to work with engineers and a community that is way bigger than just our team. There is some amazing work being done here and we are excited to get to be a part of it.

More generally, though, I’m here to glorify my Father God and to do his will. All my tallents and abilities are gifts and I owe them to Him.

2 Likes

@xaeroxe, @doomy, @azriel91, @jojolepro, @TimonPost, @Moxinilian, @kabergstrom, @torkleyy, @fletcher, @distransient, @LucioFranco, @khionu, @zicklag

Does anyone object to me making this topic public? There is some good content here that has now been partially referenced in a public topic. I’ll make it public in a week if there are no objections.

7 Likes

Fine with me

I’m here because I see Rust as an incredible opportunity for the games industry. C++ has serious scaling issues with large teams and complex projects. Ever since the game industry existed, the rate of progression in technology and expectations of consumers has grown exponentially. As a member in the industry, I think it’s important to be asking, “what would it take to build games that are 10x more ambitious than what we build today?”

To me, Rust is one (of many) parts of answering that question. On the tech side, we need safer ways to share code and more reliable tools for all members of the team delivered more quickly. (I also think AI/ML to help content creators be 10x more productive is part of the equation)

All that being said, I don’t expect amethyst to deliver on that vision, nor does it need to. I think it’s better left to companies with 1000s of employees. However, Rust needs to be successful first at smaller scale. There also needs to be some sort of migration path that avoids rewriting entire engines. So my personal goal is to evaluate if Rust can deliver on some of the above-mentioned ideas, and if it can, what options are available to make such a transition.

As to why I’m here, I think there’s a lot of knowledge-sharing opportunity. I probably won’t be using amethyst directly myself, but I do use a number of key crates (legion, atelier, gltf.) I’ve benefited from this and would love to share what I can back.

Second reason: this community is full of amazing and nice people. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Excellent topic! I really enjoyed reading everyone’s why’s. I gave an introduction of myself here. This part of it is relevant to my “why”:

I’m here because:

• I love Rust, and want to use it to build interesting things
  • I keep coming back to games, even though I’ve never produced a “successful” one (where I define success as enjoyable enough that folks want to play it).
  • I hit limitations and bugs in every game engine I use, and either I don’t have access to the source, or the source is millions of lines of C++, and I don’t want to use C++. I tried really hard to like C++, but I just…can’t.
  • I want to run my own small software company someday
  • I see Amethyst as a compelling project that is fun to be involved with (already!), enjoyable to use (soon), and will be a reliable base to build some actual software product on someday.

On that last bit about “my own company…to build some actual software product on someday” – I speculate that it is equally likely that I manage to produce an actual game, or I veer off into some value-add to the engine along the lines of commercial support or console bindings, or some other software product that uses the capabilities of the engine for some other purpose (I keep wishing I could visualize the data flowing through my services in real time at my day job, for example). The part that I’m absolutely sure about is that it will be with a small team of people who love working together to make something people love to use. Then the idea is to enjoy cultivating products like that with the small group for the rest of my life. That’s the dream, anyway. If we are able to leverage Amethyst, then I expect to be around contributing back to the community for a long time.

I’ve decided to focus on contributing directly to Amethyst for a year or two in hopes of helping it succeed and putting another piece of the “small company” puzzle into place. I’ve been chasing this “small company” dream very slowly for ~14 years already, and I’ve had some of my other long-term bets pay off (learning Rust is one!). Hopefully Amethyst will be another piece of the puzzle. If not, well…I’m already enjoying interacting with this community and contributing, and that’s worthwhile by itself!

:100: We are so blessed. We have a responsibility to develop our talents and use them to bless others.

4 Likes

Interesting, I’ve missed this thread, so here is why I’m here.

The Editor, all about that editor…
For the last 10 years or so, I’ve increasingly understood the importance of an editor, not only am I disappointed what like Unity, Unreal has to offer in terms of tools, but how shallow and how quickly you hit the dead end of artistic/creative depth.

Amethyst not only has the performance I was looking for, but it’s also not using C/C++.
Amethyst does not have an editor yet, which I’m extremely honored to be working on now, and it will allow me to drive new features witch I feel there has always been a need for.

this is ultimately something I can feel is a driving force and bottom line for me in the next 10 years if not more.

Brand and visual experience
While our website is ok for where the project is, I believe there is more work to be done, which I’m currently pushing a new website to fix some of these issues.

Community
I’ve loved the community that has grown around the project, not only are we understanding and loving, but also help further each other on all levels of experience.

there is probably more I could list here, but that’s the birds-eye perspective on why I’m here.

6 Likes